Bird 3 Status

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Thu Apr 18 17:05:11 CEST 2024

Hello Marcelo,

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 09:40:52AM -0300, Marcelo Balbinot wrote:

> Could you give us a brief update on the status of version 3 ?

We found some grave bugs in BGP export implementation (which had to be
rewritten to support asynchronous Adj-RIP-Out / export table dumps) so
basically it's delayed by this.

We also did some refactoring, and partially, we had to include the new
features from version 2 which also slowed the process.

>  Do you have any expected dates for a new release !?

For the next release? As soon as we fix the BGP export table, there
should be 3.0alpha3.

For stable? Well, we're postponing it a lot, last estimation for stable
version was December 2023 and as you can see, we aren't there yet.

The problems which we're fixing generally don't manifest when running
BIRD on light loads, but in some corner cases and with high loads, it
either behaves weirdly or crashes. And we want long-term stability, not
that you have to restart your routing layer every other day.

Hoping that this helps you at least a bit.

Have a nice day!

Maria

--
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.