OSPF for IPv4 over IPv6 only?

Pim van Pelt pim at ipng.ch
Sat Apr 6 16:54:48 CEST 2024

Hoi Ondrej, Bird users,

TL/DR: Ondrej's patch works and allows Bird to use OSPFv3 with either
completely unnumbered interfaces, where it 'borrows' a valid IPv4
address from a loopback device. It does so without breaking RFC5838!

On 05.04.2024 16:27, Pim van Pelt via Bird-users wrote:
> **Let me build Bird with your use-loopback commit
> <https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/commit/280daed57d061eb1ebc89013637c683fe23465e8>*and*
> VPP with my unnumbered-inhibit commit
> <https://github.com/pimvanpelt/lcpng/commit/a960d64a87849d312b32d9432ffb722672c14878>
> *and* VPP accepting onlink ARP request (pending gerrit
> <https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/vpp/+/40482>).
> I will then check to see if VPP is happy to set the correct nexthop
> (both in Bird2, but also in the VPP FIB).
> I'll report back after the weekend but thank you very much for working
> on this (and/or the extended next hop feature).

- It now also works when interfaces have duplicate IP addresses.
- For the VPP aficionados, both scenario's work with 'set interface
unnumbered' and with or without 'lcp lcp-sync-unnumbered' (once my
commits to VPP are merged).

I tested both scenarios above:
- Scenario 1: where e0/e1 have the same IPv4/IPv6 address as loop0
- Scenario 2: where e0/e1 are left unconfigured, and OSPFv3 finds a
nexthop from loop0

I wrote up my findings on
https://ipng.ch/s/articles/2024/03/06/vpp-ospf.html

groet,