How to make bird and freebsd carp working together ?

Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois arnaud.houdelette at normandie-univ.fr
Mon Apr 1 00:50:35 CEST 2024

Hi

I got two routers running freebsd (BSDRP).

Those two are used as redundant site firewalls and main routers / route
servers.

Both exchange routes between themselves and other routers using Bird
(OSPF+BGP).

Both serve as gateway for our management network, with carp enabled.

I got trouble making CARP and BIRD working together.

The carp enabled interface use a dummy network for exchanging carp info
(link local adresses : 169.254.1.0/24)

Bird Device protocol does not makes any difference between adresses in
MASTER or BACKUP vhids, so the route appears in both routers.

I tried with recent "learn all" feature of kernel protocol : There, bird
only picks up route when its master, but, in case of MASTER failover or
preemption, it doesn't remove the route early enough, and freebsd does
not seem to replace the route on it’s kernel table, so when birds
finally removes the route, we end up with no route at all. (and a non
working network segment).

Am I the only one facing this issue ? Is there a way to make bird carp
aware ?

Thanks

--
Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois
Administrateur des infrastructures systèmes et réseaux