Static Route /24

Michael McConnell michael at winkstreaming.com
Wed Mar 21 14:13:04 CET 2018

Hello fellow Bird users,

I’ve run into a strange issue trying to subnet a /24 into a series of smaller /27 and /28’s and have the routed via BGP.

I currently do the following; route 10.10.10.0/24 reject;

However if I don’t bring the interface up as a /24 (i.e. ifconfig eth0:10 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up) I am unable to get the route explored when I run show route - the interface needs to be online in order for “show route” to show the import as a unreachable.

I can kinda make this work through a series of strange static routes, but this seems incorrect. Can anyone suggest a better way to ensure my /24 is announced regardless so that I can then subnet it down for the purpose of serving over a VPN the /28’s and /27’s?

Hopefully that question makes sense and isn’t too much nonsense.

Thanks for you help and comments!
Mike

--
Michael McConnell