bird systemd startup init debian

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Tue Mar 6 12:26:02 CET 2018

Rob Lister <rob at lonap.net> writes:

> root at rs1f:/etc/bird# service bird start
> Job for bird.service failed because the control process exited with
> error code.
> See "systemctl status bird.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>
> root at rs1f:/etc/bird# systemctl status bird.service
> ● bird.service - BIRD Internet Routing Daemon (IPv4)
>     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bird.service; enabled; vendor
> preset: enabled)
>    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/bird.service.d
>             └─override.conf
>     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-03-05 19:16:16 UTC;
> 8s ago
>    Process: 510 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/bird -p (code=exited,
> status=1/FAILURE)

So this says that it's `bird -p` that fails. This is a check of the
configuration file before the actual daemon is started. Since that is
not passed the $BIRD_ARGS (as you can see from the command line
invocation), it fails, which prevents startup of the actual daemon.

You'd have to add the same $BIRD_RUN_USER, $BIRD_RUN_GROUP and
$BIRD_ARGS to the ExecStartPre line I guess; the fact that it is not
there already is a bug in the systemd unit file, I'd say. I guess this
is a packaging bug on the Debian side? In which case you should open a
bug in the Debian system :)

-Toke