route withdrawals are not sent upon protocol removal

Thomás S. Bregolin thoms3rd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:43:42 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Jan Maria Matejka <jan.matejka at nic.cz>
wrote:

> Hello!

Hello Jan,

Thank you for looking into this.

> I don't know whether I correctly understand what you are trying to do.
> Anyway, please
> look at the attached script (for Linux). It creates two virtual routers CA
> and CB,
> a BGP link between them and sends a route defined in protocol static {} on
> CA.

I am trying to remove a whole "protocol static {}" block from the
configurations and have the withdrawal be sent to the peers upon "configure
soft" without having to restart the BGP session.

> Then it reconfigures CA to remove the static protocol and it correctly
> shows that
> the route is withdrawn, at least for me at v1.6.4.

The routes are removed from bird, but a packet capture shows that no UPDATE
message with the route withdrawals is actually sent to the peers, so the
route lingers in the peers' routing tables.

Could you please try the attached script or try to create some reproducer
> for me
> to see the bug clearly?

I will give the test-withdraw script a go and reply with more information.

Thank you,

Thomás