Cannot connect two ospf-instances over tun-interface

dawid k tookie009smieci at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 13:54:34 CEST 2018

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:35:03AM +0200, dawid k wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > please could you enable 'debug all' for the ospf protocol at server?
> > > It should tell you whether it receives the packets and what is it doing
> > > with them.
> > >

> > It is enabled, Here the logs:
> >

> > no received packets, but with tcpdump on server I can see, that all
> devices
> > are sending hello messages:
>
> Hello
>
> That is interesting, It is possible that there is some problem with
> multicast on OpenVPN, as mentioned by Michael McConnell, but not in the
> sense
> of multicast transmit (which works as seen by tcpdump), but multicast
> delivery
> to userspace sockets (so BIRD does not get them).
>
> One workaround would be to use NBMA interface type in BIRD OSPF. That
> uses just unicast, so perhaps there would not be this problem. See 'type
> nbma' OSPF option. Then you have to use 'neighbors' option to specify
> client IPs on server and at least server IP (marked 'eligible') on clients
> and set priority to 0 on clients.
>
> Thank you for your help, but it is still not working.

I tried the nmba connection between one client and server with following
settings:

client:

                interface "tun0" {
                        cost 10;
                        type nbma;
                        strict nonbroadcast yes; #tried with disabled as
well
                        stub no;
                        hello 10;
                        transmit delay 5;
                        wait 10;
                        dead 40;
                        priority 0;
                        neighbors {
                                10.29.0.1 eligible; #server's IP
                        };
                 };

server
                interface "tun0" {
                        cost 10;
                        type nbma;
                        strict nonbroadcast yes;
                        stub no;
                        hello 10;
                        transmit delay 5;
                        wait 10;
                        dead 40;
                        neighbors {
                                10.26.0.4; # client's IP
                        };
                 };

There are no error messages in logs only the info: HELLO packet sent via
tun0.
I started  tcpdump -v -s 0  proto ospf -i tun0 now on both client and
server and there is no traffic at all.
The routes are set properly and ping is working. I tried ptp as well with
similar result. Im using iptables, but for the test I deactivated it.
I have no idea, why tcpdump shows no traffic. I suppose, that there is an
issue with OpenVPN, what Michael McConnel and others mentioned.