Decode BGP Shutdown Communication messages (RFC 8203)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Oct 31 13:39:21 CET 2017

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 04:40:45PM +0300, Mikhail Grishin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) You also implemented
> enable bgp2 "enable message"
> This message currently seen only at local side and doesn't seen at
> remote peer.
>
> Scenario: You made maintenance work with the shutdown message "Session
> will be down from 13:00 till 14:00".
> Later session was established again. Days after at remote peer side
> still printed the same message. That's confusing.
>
> Suggestion:
> (May be) To show two different messages? Tx and Rx.
> To clear Rx message every time when BGP session state  changed to
> established.

Hi

You are right, clearing the RX message when state changed to established
makes sense. Independent handling (or at least distinguishing) of RX and
TX messages was already suggested by Job Snijders, this is another
argument for that.

> 2) Is it possible to log such messages and see via syslog?

Yes, received messages are logged. Sent ones are not.

> P.S. For russian UTF8 text 128 bytes restriction (RFC) probably not
> always enough.

Well, that is specified by RFC 8203. I wonder why the limit is not 255, as
the length field is byte anyways.