Some autoconf cleanups

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Mar 14 14:08:36 CET 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 03:20:09PM +0100, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:17 AM, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 06:13:16PM +0100, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> > Thanks for the cleanup patches, our configure script is old and not much
> > kept up-to-date. I have some questions w.r.t. your patches:
>
> Thanks for looking at my patches.

Hi

Accepted and merged, with the exception of patch 07 (rename aclocal.m4 to m4/bird.m4).

> I have some follow up patches with more cleanups, but this series is already large
> enough as it is.

I would be glad to see them.

> >>  rename aclocal.m4 => m4/bird.m4 (100%)
> >
> > Is this necessary? I have an aversion to boilerplate directories
> > containing just one file.
>
> It's not strictly necessary since bird doesn't use automake, but m4/
> is somewhat of a canonical location.
> I have plans to split this file up in later patches, and to see which
> ones of these macros are still needed and possibly redo them
> differently, in configure.ac itself.

I would prefer to keep self-contained macros in aclocal.m4, while keeping
configure.ac simple. Perhaps even transfer some non-trivial code from
configure.ac (e.g., ncurses finding or sa_len check) to a separate macros
in aclocal.m4.

But i am OK with removing unnecessary and redoing macros differently in
aclocal.m4 (e.g., integer length testing macros are most likely obsolete
and could be replaced by C99 types).