Multi core validate ospf

Fernando Galvão fernando at wantel.com.br
Sun Mar 12 11:43:28 CET 2017

Hello guys,

I wanted your help to validate if the bird with ospf is running with multi thread.

I have a dell r410 server with 2 x56 quad core xeon processors totaling 16 cores.

This server was serving pppoe server with accel-ppp + quagga ospf v4 / v6 with route summarization.

With 2,000 sessions and going on around 1GB, the quagga process blew the cpu and all sessions were disconnected. The problem is that the quagga is single core so it uses only one core.

Looking, I've seen that the bird is multi-core. I started to run, I have 2,200 pppoe sessions but still early to get high traffic, I'm passing 300MB and the bird has peaks in a 25% core. I would like to know if I have validate that it is distributing the process between CPUs?

Or if you have any configuration for this.

Fernando Galvão
  Wantel Telecom
+55 87 3866-5200