Hardware requirements for BIRD

David S. david at zeromail.us
Tue Mar 7 15:08:44 CET 2017

Hi,

Here is my x86 router configuration:

OS: FreeBSD 10.2 64bit
Bird 1.6.3
CPU Intel E5-2609v2
Memory 16GB

Here is top result for bird:

27 processes:  1 running, 26 sleeping
CPU: 13.0% user,  0.0% nice,  1.8% system,  1.7% interrupt, 83.6% idle
Mem: 504M Active, 112M Inact, 875M Wired, 518M Buf, 14G Free
Swap: 3852M Total, 3852M Free

  PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME    WCPU
COMMAND
 6278 root          1  52    0   455M   440M select  3   1:23  20.65% bird
 6294 root          1  20    0 60124K 48616K select  0   0:24   0.10% bird6

bird> show route count
1356504 of 1356504 routes for 633512 networks <<-- still updating the
routing table after restarting protocols

Your hardware is more than enough but if you consider to handle high
traffic or packets per second it's a different.

Best regards,
David S.
e. david at zeromail.us
w. pnyet.web.id