Injecting route into bird/ospf

Maximilian Wilhelm max at rfc2324.org
Fri Jul 28 13:49:55 CEST 2017

Anno domini 2017 ico scripsit:

Hi,

> I would like to hear some advices about bird on linux, what is the best way
> to inject some route into OSPF on bird. I want for my router to announce via
> OSPF to other routers that some IPs should be directed to it.
>
> Example: I want IPs 10.0.0.1/32 and 10.0.0.5/32 to be directed to my router.
> I would set dummy0 interface, set those IPs there, include dummy0 in OSPF
> and voila! the rest of network "knows" 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.5 is here. This
> doesn't seem as a good solution for me, because the traffic to 10.0.0.1 and
> 10.0.0.5 would then be NATed or modified in other way so these IPs really
> don't need to exist.
[...]

So like

	interface "dummy0" { stub yes; };

within the OSPF protocol?

That seems like a fine way for me. What's the problem of configuring
an IP on the dummy0 interface? You would have to configure routes into
your 'mytable' table, add a second kernel protocol, learn routes there
and export those to OSPF as E1/E2. That's more hassle IMO.

Best
Max
--
"I have to admit I've always suspected that MTBWTF would be a more useful
 metric of real-world performance."