Static IPv6 leases on VLAN interface

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Jul 14 13:50:19 CEST 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 10:03:18AM +0200, Martin Huněk wrote:
> Hí,
>
> I have recently found out a problem with assigning IPv6 prefix via static
> protocol for the VLAN interface.
>
> When I wrote this:
> protocol static leases {
>         route 2001:db8:0:100::/56 via fe80::xxxx:xxff:fexx:xxxx%eth1.3330;
> }
>
> It gave me:
> /etc/bird/leases6.conf, line 2: syntax error
>
> However, when I use a host interface for that VLAN (%eth1), it suddenly works.

Hi

The IP%iface syntax in BIRD is a hack that uses symbol syntax for iface name,
which allows just alphanumeric chars and underscore.

You could try fe80::xxx%'eth1.3330'

> Is there a way how to insert static route pointing to the VLAN interface?

Well, it is unrelated to VLAN iface, it is problem with dot in name.

Also note that it is possible to use

  vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD

to have VLAN ifaces named vlanXX, or VLAN can be created with any name using
'ip' tool instead of 'vconfig' tool.