Will bird block on syslog() call?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Feb 28 01:35:43 CET 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 08:48:48PM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> On 24/02/2017 04:12 μμ, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> > I would suggest to decrease min rx/tx interval to 100 ms (to see if that
> > helps).
>
> If the hypothesis holds true, that is Bird blocks for 1.2secs, then sending BFD
> messages at higher rate wont help. Do you think so ?

I was imprecise here. I meant decrease of min rx/tx interval with
appropriate increase of multiplier. It would not help if the hypothesis
is true, but it may help if there are some other causes.

> I could try the opposite, configure the upstream router to declare the BFD down
> only after hasn't seen a BFD message for a period of 5seconds.

Note that multiplier configured on each side is propagated to the other
side where it is used to compute timeout for received BFD messages. So if
you want the upstream router not to declare the BFD down too early, you
would need to configure multiplier on the BIRD router, not on the
upstream router.

But in practice you would probably want to set both values, as possible
blocking for several seconds could produce session failure in both
directions (as the blocked router could process 'timeout' event even
before it processes queued received BFD messages),