[Feature request] DHCPv6 protocol

Martin Huněk martin.hunek at lbcfree.net
Sat Apr 1 15:21:32 CEST 2017

Hi,

No argument there, the DHCP server should do that when doing PD but for some
reasons they don't. I guess that because of large ISP would use DHCP relay
agent in some device, they would not need that. That's why DHCPKit doesn't
have that (author doesn't need that, but you are free to do it yourself). I
guess that there is also some religious view that the DHCP server should not
make routing decisions. It was true before PD, but no one seems to notice
that.

There is one fork of ISC DHCP (https://github.com/mpalmer/isc-dhcp) which at
least gives address of CPE to be available to custom hooks which then allows
you to make hook for adding/removing routes for delegated prefixes. However it
seems to be dead since end of 2014.

I'm not arguing about that it would not be easier to program it into DHCP
server, it would be, I'm stating that it would be helpful to have at least
relay in bird. Because to have a functional DHCPv6-PD it is necessary to do
both routing and DHCP itself and since DHCP servers doesn't do that, routing
daemon should.

Best Regards
Martin Hunek