Improving Anycast routing with Bird

Kyle Drake kyle at kyledrake.net
Thu Sep 22 01:17:57 CEST 2016

> Normally you would use anycast to get you to a DNS server (which doesn't
> have to be that near), then a geographic DNS server to get you to the right
> CDN element.

That's what I was doing previously, but I need to control the IPs for the
CDN, and I only have the budget for one /24, so I'm trying to make the best
of it. Aside from some occasional weird routing, the network has worked
really well. State has not been an issue for what we're doing (short-lived
HTTP connections).

I'm just trying to see what the extent of my powers to control weird
routing are. It's odd to see Comcast cold-potatoing connections to the
wrong routes, sometimes on the other side of the continent (
https://gist.github.com/kyledrake/7a4cd36ea276ec3134b4a51a42a37f48). I'm
wondering if there is a way to configure Bird to help steer these sorts of
things a little better, even if it's on a case-by-case or region-by-region
level.

My apologies if these are all dumb questions. Again, not much anycast
documentation out there (I'm planning to improve this later by putting
together a web resource for people doing this).

-Kyle