[Babel-users] Version 1.6.0

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Mon May 2 00:03:28 CEST 2016

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> writes:

>> Hmm, maybe this should be spelled out somewhere?
>
> Could you please clarify what exactly needs to be spelled out? I have
> the impression that the meaning of AE 0 is spelled out pretty clearly
> in all three pleaces where it is allowed. The one missing bit is
> Updates, where it doesn't state clearly that AE 0 is only allowed for
> retractions, but I think it's pretty clear from context.

It's not *when* the field should be set to 0 that is unclear, but rather
that this changes the semantics so that the TLV no longer encodes a
prefix, but rather turns into a wildcard request.

Adding some text to that effect could be done in section 4.1.3, for
instance. I.e. instead of writing:

   o  AE 0: wildcard address.  The value is 0 octets long.

one could write something along the lines of:

   o  AE 0: wildcard address. The value is 0 octets long. When this is
   set, the TLV does not encode a prefix, but rather contains a wildcard
   request.

Not sure if this is the right place to do it, or if this should be done
in section 2 or 3 instead (where the description is more conceptual).
But I think it was the term 'wildcard address' with no further
explanation that sent me down the wrong track.

-Toke