Multiple Radv Protocols?

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Mon Mar 21 19:42:08 CET 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 01:15:08AM +0100, Matthias Peter Walther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a setup here where we want to accounce different ipv6 prefixes
> on different interfaces. We tried it this way:
>
> protocol radv 'radvd_bat09' {
>        interface "bat09" {
>                max ra interval 20;
>                link mtu 1280;
>                prefix 2a03:2260:115:900::/64 {
>                };
>        };
>        rdnss {
>                ns 2a03:2260:115:900::2;
>        };
> };
>
> protocol radv 'radvd_bat10' {
>         interface "bat10" {
>                 max ra interval 20;
>                 link mtu 1280;
>                 prefix 2a03:2260:115:1000::/64 {
>                 };
>         };
>         rdnss {
>                 ns 2a03:2260:115:1000::3;
>         };
> };
>
> Bird6 detects both protocols and lists them in show protocols, but it
> doesn't work. Clients on bat10 don't get a prefix.

Hi.
Can you see bird sending router advertisements on bat10?
What does the bird log say?

> Another way might be to user the interface block multiple times in one
> radv protocol which is indeed possible. But how can I announce different
> dns servers for the different interfaces (like in the example above)?

According to the documentation you can put rdnss block inside the
interface definition and then use "rdnss local yes" interface parameter
to use only the rdnss block inside this interface definition.
(Which is what I should have probably done in the config below)

> Does bird6 support multiple radv blocks or not?

I'm using two different radv blocks on bird version 1.4.5 and it works fine:

protocol radv radv_generic {
    interface "-vip-eduroam","vip-*" {
        managed no;
        other config yes;