Turris Omnia - campaign ends soon

tomas.hlavacek at nic.cz tomas.hlavacek at nic.cz
Fri Jan 8 21:54:01 CET 2016

Hi Christian!

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Christian Tacke
<Christian.Tacke+bird.network.cz at cosmokey.com> wrote:

> Hi Ondrej,
>

> On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 17:52:31 +0100, Ondrej Filip wrote:
>>  Hi BIRD users!
> [...]
>
> while we have the Q&A round:
>

> 3) Because I was quite frustrated on a late cheap switch
>    buy (that thing does not even know, whether the SFP
>    module is plugged in, until the optical link is up!):
>    Does the SFP slot sllow the full diagnostic stuff?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver#Digital_diagnostics_monitoring

Theoretically yes: The I2C lines from the SFP cage are connected to the
main CPU and the Linux I2C interface is going to be accessible from
user space. By now we have tested only reading from EEPROM in a SFP
module but not the DDM part. I am adding this to my to-do list. Thanks
for bringing this up! And we - or anybody interested - might port or
create some tool for reading and interpreting DDM data. It should be
quite simple to do.

And regarding Debian question from the another mail: Yes, I am actually
running Debian on my prototype board. I simply created debootstrap
image and put it to the eMMC. The only difference is a custom kernel
with dozen patches (we are going to send them to upstream, but is might
take some time to get them merged) and swconfig tool from OpenWRT.

Tomas