bird 1.5.0-4 ospf Inactivity timer expired.

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Oct 26 11:32:36 CET 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 02:47:56PM +0600, Andrey Kitsul wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have three Ubuntu physical machines with quagga (ospf area0/bgp with full
> route table on 2-4 uplink) and one whit bird (ospf only).
> On one of the routers (ospf/bgp) replace quagga on bird. Configuration bird
> attachment.
> After replacing the CPU load there is increased by 10-15%. On top Bird
> periodically consumes up to 90% of the CPU, and at a given time is restarted
> ospf: Inactivity timer expired for nbr.
> On one interfaces eth1.2508 to another bird router, I increased the Dead
> interval to 10 seconds. And it helped.
> What could be my problem? Large filters BGP, smallest ospf hello/dead
> interval or something else?

Hello

You could try to enable 'debug latency' option and optionally set
'debug latency limit' to see which events cause latency issues.

If you export complete BGP kernel table to the kernel, i would guess  the
issue is caused by periodic scan of kernel routing table by the kernel
protocol. For full BGP table it may took time in order of seconds, which
may interfere with low OSPF dead time limits.