BIRD removing BGP routes from other daemon - FreeBSD

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Jun 25 10:42:10 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 05:14:41PM -0300, Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a particular scenario where my BGP runs with OpenBGP and I can not
> change it right now.
>
> However I want BIRD to use OSPF and BFD. While BIRD works perfectly, better
> than OpenOSPF for my scenario, when I start it, it completely removes all
> routes installed by OpenBGP.

Hello

On BSD systems, BIRD uses PROTO1 route flag to identify 'its' routes. If
OpenBGP uses the same flag, then they mix-up their routes. Currently
there is no option in BIRD to change it to use PROTO2 or PROTO3 flag [*],
i don't know about OpenBGP. I wonder if there is a better way to
distinguish route ownership in BSD systems (like there is u8 rtm_protocol
field in Linux).

[*] Could be changed in the source code on these lines in
sysdep/bsd/krt-sock.c:

msg.rtm.rtm_flags = RTF_UP | RTF_PROTO1;
u32 self_mask = RTF_PROTO1;