Enhanced Route Refresh Capability (rfc7313)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jun 23 15:29:42 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 01:47:41PM +0200, Arnaud Fenioux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We updated one of our Route-server and noticed that a few number of our peers could not establish IPv6 sessions with us.
> The reason in the logs was "Received: Required capability missing???.
>
> After some tcpdump and investigation we found that Enhanced Route
> Refresh Capability was newly advertised (as explained in the bird
> release notes). Sadly Juniper boxes do think that this capability is
> mandatory (only) in IPv6.

Well, they should ignore it if they don't know/like it. The problem is
specific to IPv6 sessions, IPv4 sessions works fine? Or perhaps the
problem is triggered on both, but as a fallback, the capability
negotiation was disabled on second try, which works for IPv4, but not
for IPv6 (as multiprotocol cap. must be here)?

> We have disabled route refresh (enhanced and regular), as a work-around, for these peers.
> enable route refresh off;
>
> Would it be possible to only disable enhanced route refresh in the configuration file for a next release of bird?

I considered such option for 1.5.0 but thought it would be unnecessary.
I will probably reconsider that.