Bird4 ospf not learning/distributing p2p links routes

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jun 2 11:43:16 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:05:35PM +0200, daniele wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is it normal that routes flagged as H, ie. /32 routes in p2p links in linux
> routing table, are not learnt and distributed by ospf?
> In my ospf area I need all the routers to know about the different p2p
> endpoint addresses which are not distributed by ospf in bird4. The only
> networks that are distributed are non-p2p subnets. Currently the only way to
> make this happen is to manually set some /32 static routes.. not really
> flexible.

Hi

Non-stub ptp addresses are not propagated by design based on assumption
that in many cases you either don't want them to be propagated or are
propagated anyways as 'loopback' /32 addresses. And it is generally
easier to add stub address when necessary than remove them when unwanted.

But i admit that this is counterintuitive and sometimes impractical and
we should have some configurable option to handle it, with default to
distribute them.