Bird6 freeze under high load

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Jan 31 14:06:13 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 12:32:44AM +0100, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:
> I just tried downgrading from 1.4.5 to 1.4.4, using the 1.4.4-1~bpo70+1
> Debian package from http://bird.network.cz/?download&tdir=debian/
>
> The result is the same, bird6 also freezes periodically with version 1.4.4.
>
> By the way, I think I ruled out the possibility that a particular BGP peer
> is sending garbage: the issue still arises when leaving only one BGP
> session active, whichever it is.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to help troubleshoot the root cause of
> this issue?

Well, if you could run BIRD (presumably the current version) with
'ulimit -c unlimited' and then be able to kill BIRD during lockup
using 'kill -QUIT <pid>', then resulting core dump would be highly
useful for determining the source of the problem.

But hitting the BIRD in the right moment could be problematic. In the
next version, we will implement configurable 'watchdog' that would kill
BIRD automatically during such lockup.