Patch to reveal more information in SHOW ROUTE

Andrew Francis andrew.francis at twitch.tv
Fri Jan 23 06:40:22 CET 2015

Hi,

Twitch's network operations department uses BIRD as a centralized looking
glass. It's a BGP route reflector that is peered with all our border
routers. Staff use the route reflector to inspect how a destination network
can be reached from our different points-of-presence.

Some peers will advertise the same IP as part of different prefix lengths,
likely due to aggregation or filtering. For instance, one provider
advertises 117.120.24.0/22 to us, but all others only advertise a /21.

Querying SHOW ROUTE on the looking glass shows the /22 on one border
router, and hides the /21's. This makes sense as a routing decision from
the location of the looking glass, but doesn't give us the global
visibility we want.

I have a patch which adds an option to SHOW ROUTE to reveal all prefixes,
regardless of length / best-match, covering a particular IP.

This produces tons of output. I am also working on an option to print the
single best prefix for each unique BGP.next_hop / BGP.originator_id. This
gives us exactly what we want: the route taken to a particular IP from each
border router.

Would the community be interested in integrating this feature? If so, I'll
start the process here to get a patch released publicly.

Thanks

Andrew Francis   |   *Twitch* <http://www.twitch.tv/>   |   Engineering