BGP Link Bandwidth Extended Community?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Jan 12 00:43:20 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 02:16:18PM -0800, dave seddon wrote:
> Greetings Ondrej,
>
> Thanks for your reply regarding this extended community.
>
> I have tried the following two (2) configurations:
>         bgp_ext_community.add((unknown 0x4004, 65300, 10000));
>         bgp_ext_community.add((unknown 0x4004, 65300, 0x03E8));
>
> In both cases, the neighbour Juniper router see the bandwidth as zero.

According to https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-link-bandwidth-06,
the bandwidth have to be encoded as floating point, while the 'unknown'
format defines a raw value of local field of the community.

You could try to set the value from the tcpdump of Juniper (1176255488)
instead of 10000.

Well, to be practical, we would have to add explicit support for this
community instead of using universal format.