bird spawning huge amount of BGP traffic

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Fri Feb 20 15:31:52 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 04:55:21PM +0100, Simon Szustkowski wrote:
> I have configured bird4 with the example config provided in the DN42 wiki
> (https://dn42.net/howto/Bird) (sorry about the HTML entities). The result
> is: Bird populates my routing table with all the correct routes, but spawns
> very huge amounts of BGP traffic. I ran it overnight accidentally, and it
> spawned over 70GB traffic on some interfaces, so these particular peers
> closed their VPN tunnels to me, which is understandable.
> I have created a minimal config by myself, which has the same result.
> However, peering with quagga works as expected, with all routes and little
> traffic.

Can you provide your configuration?  Are you sure the large amount of
traffic is BGP traffic, and not just a routing loop?

You can try to log debug messages, see:

  http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-3.html#ss3.3

In your case, it's probably a good idea to use this in one of your BGP
protocol:

  debug { packets };

(it may generate quite a lot of messages)

Baptiste