ECMP support

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Dec 15 12:41:11 CET 2015

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM, d tbsky <tbskyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I found a few messages in the archive that mention multi path and ECMP
> >> but the website says it's TODO.  I was just wondering what the status is?
> >> I'm interested in having BIRD configure the Linux routing table for ECMP,
> >> if possible.
> >
> > I have heard that bird 1.5 get some new functions about ecmp, but I can
> > not  find out what are them. can anybody give some hint about what's new in
> > bird ecmp?
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 06:38:49PM -0800, kris wrote:
> Part of the problem is the kernel. The other part is BGP multipath. I've
> offered to sponsor its development, but the maintainers of bird aren't
> interested.

Hi

IPv4 ECMP for OSPF and static routes is supported since long ago.

IPv4 ECMP for RIP is supported since v1.5.0.

IPv4 BGP multipath is supported in master branch in devel tree
(commit 8d9eef17713a9b38cd42bd59c4ce76c3ef6c2fc2).

IPv6 ECMP is currently not supported. There also may be problems in
kernel multipath forwarding unrelated to BIRD (as mentioned by d tbsky).