OSPF, missing external network prefix

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Tue Dec 8 14:52:25 CET 2015

Hi.

On 08.12.2015 18:23, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 06:10:20PM +0500, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>> I've also noticed that this prefix is missing from 'show ospf state'
>> output files, but present in 'show ospf state all' output files, but
>> along with a IP address of 172.16.5.159. This is an IP address of a
>> router this prefix is originating from (it's an address of it's tunnel
>> most close to the area 0), and it's not directly reachable from the
>> routers which FIB is missing it, so I suppose this may be the reason.
> Yes, that is expected behavior. Don't know why these routes are available
> on other Cisco routes.
They are (for example this output is from Cisco router and it's not in
area 0):

kosm114#sh ip route 192.168.114.192
Routing entry for 192.168.114.192/26
  Known via "ospf 10", distance 110, metric 20, type extern 2, forward
metric 22223
  Last update from 172.16.1.50 on Tunnel0, 4d00h ago
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 172.16.1.50, from 192.168.0.15, 4d00h ago, via Tunnel0
      Route metric is 20, traffic share count is 1

kosm114#sh ip ospf inter
kosm114#sh ip ospf interface
Tunnel1 is up, line protocol is up
  Internet Address 172.16.1.67/31, Area 19
  Process ID 10, Router ID 192.168.141.193, Network Type POINT_TO_POINT,
Cost: 15111
  Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State POINT_TO_POINT
  Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 40, Wait 40, Retransmit 5
    oob-resync timeout 40
    Hello due in 00:00:07
  Supports Link-local Signaling (LLS)
  Cisco NSF helper support enabled
  IETF NSF helper support enabled
  Index 2/2, flood queue length 0
  Next 0x0(0)/0x0(0)
  Last flood scan length is 8, maximum is 50
  Last flood scan time is 0 msec, maximum is 112 msec
  Neighbor Count is 1, Adjacent neighbor count is 1
    Adjacent with neighbor 192.168.0.15
  Suppress hello for 0 neighbor(s)
Tunnel0 is up, line protocol is up
  Internet Address 172.16.1.51/31, Area 19
  Process ID 10, Router ID 192.168.141.193, Network Type POINT_TO_POINT,
Cost: 11111
  Transmit Delay is 1 sec, State POINT_TO_POINT
  Timer intervals configured, Hello 10, Dead 40, Wait 40, Retransmit 5
    oob-resync timeout 40
    Hello due in 00:00:05
  Supports Link-local Signaling (LLS)
  Cisco NSF helper support enabled
  IETF NSF helper support enabled
  Index 1/1, flood queue length 0
  Next 0x0(0)/0x0(0)
  Last flood scan length is 3, maximum is 50
  Last flood scan time is 0 msec, maximum is 104 msec
  Neighbor Count is 1, Adjacent neighbor count is 1
    Adjacent with neighbor 192.168.0.15
  Suppress hello for 0 neighbor(s)
> Not sure if 172.16.5.159 should or should not be propagated, perhaps it
> is just missing. If you have BIRD on originating router, you could
> remove explicit next hop by setting 'gw = 0.0.0.0;' in the OSPF export
> filter (on the originating router).

Unfortunately, these NSSA prefixes are originating from Cisco devices.
Is there some workaround to make these prefixes available in other
areas, except of reverting NSSA areas to ordinary ones ? After all the
external routes from NSSAs should be visible in other areas, since they
are converted from type 7 to type 7 by the ABR, right ?

Thanks.
Eugene.