looking for some help with bgp extended communities

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Tue Dec 1 23:53:05 CET 2015

Hi networkers,

I'd like to use bgp extended communities instead of communities for my
routing policy so that I can use the 4-octet ASN. However, I am a bit
confused by the route target vs route origin (and not having other kinds).
Would it be appropriate to use the route origin (as opposed to the route
target) kind of ECs to hold the community data that I will use for routing
policies? Or maybe is there a way to use the generic 0x04 sub type instead
of ro and rt kinds?

Also, is it legitimate to use some private ASN for global communities that
can be set by any of my routers when talking to one another?

Thanks,
wt