Bird IRC channel

Hans van Kranenburg hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com
Sun Apr 26 03:47:50 CEST 2015

Hi projects at freenode.net,

There's a #bird IRC channel on freenode, which has been used for a long
time to discuss usage of the BIRD routing daemon. (http://bird.network.cz/)

Unfortunately, the inhabitants (bird users) of the channel do not really
know who ever started this channel and have no means to set a useful
topic on it or do other management on the channel. (Also see below).

Fortunately, there have been a lot of great conversations in the channel
in the last few years. There are no abuse issues at all, which led us to
not bother about this for a long time. However, finally, it would be
nice to regain some control of the channel.

Last day, andi- as well as myself (Knorrie) contacted you about this,
and the reply we got was to Cc: projects at freenode.net on this (see
quoted text below), so here you are. By the way, the official bird
mailing list is in the To, so please reply-all on this.

I don't think there's a need for much discussion about using the #bird
freenode irc channel for the bird program, since it has been like that
for a long time already.

Can you freenode staff enlighten us about how to procede? Nicks to be
granted some priviliges to cleanup would be granted to _ruben, andi- and
myself, Knorrie.

If you have any further questions, please keep the bird mailing list in Cc.

Greetings,
Hans van Kranenburg (Knorrie)

On 04/26/2015 12:28 AM, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you might probably, or more probably not know, a sub-official bird
> IRC channel exists, which is #bird on freenode.
>
> The current inhabitants have no idea who ever started the channel, or
> how to be able to change any attributes of the channel, like setting
> topic or anything... Cycling the channel is not really an option, since
> 99% of the inhabitants seem just to be lurking around, never saying
> anything. (Yeah, if you're reading this, say something! :D )
>
> 00:24 <Knorrie> access #bird list
> 00:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- Entry Nickname/Host          Flags
> 00:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- ----- ---------------------- -----
> 00:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- 1     freenode-staff +AFRefiorstv
> [modified 2y 44w 5d ago]
> 00:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- ----- ---------------------- -----
> 00:24 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- End of #bird FLAGS listing.
>
> 00:27 <Knorrie> flags #bird
> 00:27 -ChanServ(ChanServ at services.)- You are not authorized to perform
> this operation.
>
>  From time to time we have really interesting conversations on this IRC
> channel, and I would really like it to become a little more active.
> Let's hang around and just share a bit about what we're doing with bird
> in an informal way.
>
> If you have ever started this channel, or have any idea how to get
> control of it back again, join!

02:55 -!- Irssi: Starting query in freenode with andi-
02:55 <andi-> Solution to the channel problem seems to be easy.. I