Deprecated 'route limit'

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Wed Apr 22 20:27:45 CEST 2015

Hi Jonathan,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 01:02:38PM -0500, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
> In the release notes for Bird 1.5.0, it's noted that the 'route limit'
> configuration is deprecated.
>
> Is there another command I should use instead?
> Is there a reason why this option is a bad idea to use?

I cannot answer this question.

> I'm using it now on a large IXP peer, rather than a specific route
> filter, since their route list would be far too long.
>
> I'm thinking that the route limit option is almost like having no
> limit at all, so maybe I can just remove it and fully trust the ISP
> (HE.net at MBIX)

BIRD is one of the few routing engines that performs exceptionally well
with very large prefix filters. Don't be afraid to deploy large prefix
filters when using BIRD! :-)

A tool like https://github.com/snar/bgpq3 uses IRR data to generate
prefix filters for BIRD, XR, IOS, Junos or JSON format. When I generate
a filter with 'bgpq3 -A -b AS-HURRICANE > /opt/as6939.ipv4.conf' it
generates a 2.7 megabyte file which you can include in your main bird
configuration.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Job

ps. Don't forget the sysctl advise from the bgpq3 manual