High CPU load

Simone Morandini simone.morandini at mix-it.net
Wed Apr 8 12:18:14 CEST 2015

Hello list,

we are running BIRD on our IXP peering platform with no problems since
quite a while now.
We need to activate a new peer which is expected to announce a
considerable amount of prefixes (~100k), and the first try resulted in
having nearly 100% cpu load, ~60-70% for BIRD and the remaining for
syslog. The machine was hardly manageable, so after a few minutes we had
to disable the peer and restart the deamon.

The current settings actually make BIRD log everything:
log "/var/log/bird.log" all;
log syslog all;

so I guess we could start by modifying it: any advice on this?
Would you suggest something more, in order to avoid having again a high
cpu load?

Thanks in advance,
Simone.