Multiple routing tables with multiple gateways

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 20:27:21 CEST 2014

Hello there,

I'm currently writing a project document which consists in a server to
be hosted in a Internet Exchange Point, (similar to a route server but
with another propose) and one of the things it must do is: When it
receives a request coming from an IP range from ISP A it must go out to
the internet using the ISP A gateway, when the request comes from ISP B
IP range it goes out via that ISP router and so on. Any request
originating on the server itself goes out via the Internet Exchange
connectivity.

I know this can be done using IProute2 and creating multiple routing
tables, but I would rather automate it using BIRD, so the ISPs would
establish a BGP session to the server, announce their IP range, but in a
different way they do with a Route server as they would need also to
announce default route, and BIRD would take care to inform the kernel
for when the request comes from those IPs it needs to use the specific
ISP gateway for that.

Would anyone be able to point me to the right direction in terms of BIRD
BGP config in order to achieve that, specially with regards the main
differences to a Route Server.

Thanks
Best regards,

Fernando