Aw: Re: bgp router with multi asn's - neighbor config ?

Kai kai_pf at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 13:11:01 CEST 2014

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 01. Oktober 2014 um 12:47 Uhr
> Von: "Ondrej Zajicek" <santiago at crfreenet.org>
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 02:19:03PM +0000, Leo Vandewoestijne wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Kai wrote:
> >
> > > protocol bgp me_1 {6
> > >   local 10.0.0.1 as 1;
> > >   router id 10.0.0.1;
> > >   neighbor 10.0.0.9 as 9;
> > >   direct;
> > > }
> > >
> > > protocol bgp me_2 {6
> > >   local 10.0.0.2 as 2;
> > >   router id 10.0.0.2;
> > >   neighbor 10.0.0.9 as 9;
> > >   direct;
> > > }
> > >
> > > (In fact there are a lot of peers like this one.)
> > > This setup doesn't seem to work. It seems as if, with each restart, only
> > > on of the two connections comes online, not always the same one. The
> > > second connection is rejected when incoming.
> > >
> > I'm familiar with that collision, so not surprised.
> >
> > > Which is the mistake I made here? Or does the peer have to have two IP
> > > addresses as well?
> > >
> > Yes, that's very likely the case.
>
> That is true. You have to use two addresses on the other side.

Dear Leo, dear Ondrej,

Thanks a lot for making this point more clear again, so that even I was able to grasp it finally. ;)

> But it would be a good idea to implement it in the future versions.

As I cannot reasonably ask a lot og peers to implement an unusal IP setup just for my special case, I'm going to switch to a completely different approach.

But I'd like to strongly support the notion of implemeting a change in future versions.

Best regards, Kai