New in BIRD

Ilias Pallikarakis pallikar at iij.ad.jp
Wed May 21 02:13:56 CEST 2014

Hi,
I recently started trying to learn BIRD. I should also mention I have no
previous experience with any other Routing daemon either.
I want to configure a bgp monitor for both ipv4 and ipv6. I am running
BIRD in a Ubuntu 13.10 VM. I managed to install both
bird and bird6 but I have some problems with the configurations.
In ipv4 :
I created a very simple configuration which I attach. The conf is
compiled but in birdc the bgp session is considered idle. I tried to
do a tcpdump and found that the router sends a  TCP SYN on the VM's bgp
port but the VM responds with a RST and never tries to
set a BGP session itself.

In ipv6 :
No matter the configuration (my configuration or the sample coming with
bird6 or examples found on the web) the configuration is
not compiled giving the following error :
  BIRD ipv6 doesn't run (bird: /usr/local/etc/bird6.conf, line 1: Router
ID must be configured manually on IPv6 routers)

Could anyone give me some pointers on what I am doing wrong ?

Thank you for your help,

Ilias Pallikarakis