Behavior during OSPF premature aging

Lennard Klein Lennard.Klein at eu.equinix.com
Tue Jun 24 09:46:20 CEST 2014

Hi,

When premature aging an LSA, bird seems to increase the LSA sequence number to its maximum (proto/ospf/lsupd.c line 616, in 1.4.3).
RFC 2328 14.1 (page 156) states "An LSA can be flushed from the routing domain by setting its LS age to MaxAge, while leaving its LS sequence number alone, and then reflooding the LSA."
While I don’t see a valid technical reason this should break, I seem to have a device in my network which ignores this updates LSA, I suspect it is doing an unsigned int comparison instead of a signed comparison.

While I think the main fault lies with the other vendor, my question at this time is: what is the reasoning behind updating the sequence number to its maximum, even though the RFC says to leave it as-is?

Regards,
Lennard Klein

This email is from Equinix (EMEA) B.V. or one of its associated companies in the territory from where this email has been sent. This email, and any files transmitted with it, contains information which is confidential, is solely for the use of the intended recipient and may be legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately. Equinix (EMEA) B.V.. Registered Office: Luttenbergweg 4, 1101 EC Amsterdam-Zuidoost, The Netherlands. Registered in The Netherlands No. 57577889.