Bring UCI and LUCI configuration for Bird4/6 to improve integration with OpenWRT

Eloi Carbó Solé eloicaso at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 12:05:39 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am Eloi Carbó, a student from the UPC in Catalonia, doing a Google Summer
of Code [0] with the QMP project [1] team, and the support of Guifi.net [2]
and BMX6 [3] developers and under the scope of Freifunk [4].

I would like to inform you that we are bringing UCI and LUCI configuration
support to Bird4 (now) and Bird6 (ASAP) putting our efforts on BGP routing.
All the background and project information can be seen in [0] so, just to
summarize, I am going to be working during the GSoC as described in [0] and
later, I will continue porting the rest of the protocols and improving
them. Our main goal is the OpenWRT team to accept our package in the main
repository.

Currently I am rewriting the whole UCI configuration scripts as I found
some difficulties in LUCI that, changing the configuration scheme, would
improve its simplicity. Now I am fixing UCI scripts, improving LUCI and
porting that to Bird6 owing to have both versions with an stable initial
version. The code will be available in [5], but currently it is not usable
yet.

The hardware I am using are:
- TP-Link WDR 4300 (and 4900)
- Mikrotik Routerboard 750G
- And connecting to Guifi.net network (about 600 routes).

Best regards,

[0] - http://qmp.cat/News/12_Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_and_QMP
[1] - http://qmp.cat/Home
[2] - http://guifi.net/en/node/38392