ospf check link doesn't detect link up for vlan interfaces protocol

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Mon Feb 17 16:52:49 CET 2014

Hi.
I'm using a fairly standard setup on debian wheezy with bird 1.4.0 where ospf
is connected to area 0 on the wan interface and I have a stub interface on a
vlan interface to the local lan.

  interface "eth5.2001" {
     cost 10;
     stub yes;
     check link yes;
  }

When I boot the router, bird doesn't detect that the vlan interface comes up
and stays in the down state. I have to restart the ospf protocol so that bird
rescans the interface and start propagating connected networks.

During boot kernel logs that the link becomes ready

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth5.2001: link becomes ready

when I remove the "check link yes" parameter, it works correctly.

Is this a bug or the problem is that vlan interfaces are not supported?

thanks
martin