'Netlink: File exists' messages out of bird6

Hans van Kranenburg hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com
Tue Dec 2 00:28:53 CET 2014

On 12/02/2014 12:15 AM, Michael Fincham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm periodically seeing bird6 log these message (and get rate limited, which implies there were quite a few at once...)
>
> Nov 30 03:38:17 wlg-por-router2 bird6: Netlink: File exists
> Nov 30 03:38:17 wlg-por-router2 bird6: ...
>
> Any hints on how best to troubleshoot this?

This usually happens when bird wants to add a route to the linux kernel
route table, while the route already exists and is not managed by bird.

Do you see any routes that have an exclamation mark (!) added to them in
the output of 'show route' in birdc6?

--
Hans van Kranenburg - System / Network Engineer
T +31 (0)10 2760434 | hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com | www.mendix.com