BFD implementation in 1.4.0

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Apr 2 20:32:58 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 05:19:06PM +0400, Mikhail A. Grishin wrote:
> Ondrej Zajicek wrote, 01.04.2014 20:06:
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 05:09:25PM +0400, Mikhail A. Grishin wrote:
>>> 1) How we can view via birdc the state of BFD-enabled peer in terms of
>>> BFD state (up/down) ?
>>
>> bird> show bfd sessions
>> bfd1:
>> IP address                Interface  State      Since       Interval  Timeout
>> 10.0.0.23                 eth0       Up         2014-03-31    0.200    0.600
>
> Please add "show bfd" to context menu:

Thanks, i missed that.

>>> 2) When BFD with some BGP peer is in Up state, how BFD-related
>>> parameters for that peer can be viewed via birdc?
>>> Examples for similar outputs from Cisco&Juniper - in attach.
>>
>> Currently not available, but 'show bfd sessions' shows almost all
>> relevant info anyways.
> OK, thanks. Any plans to improve?

Probably.

>>> 4) (Minor)
>>> "bird> show protocols all bfd1" shows some Routes counters. Does that
>>> make sense?
>>
>> Well, no. Note that it also does not make sense for 'device' protocol,
>> but nobody ever complained about that. ;-)
>
> kernel and direct protocols output doesn't show Routes counters :)

Yes if they are up:

bird> show protocols all
name     proto    table    state  since       info
device1  Device   master   up     13:08:02
  Preference:     240
  Input filter:   ACCEPT
  Output filter:  REJECT
  Routes:         0 imported, 0 exported, 0 preferred
  Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
    Import updates:              0          0          0          0          0
    Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0          0
    Export updates:              0          0          0        ---          0
    Export withdraws:            0        ---        ---        ---          0

direct1  Direct   master   up     13:08:02
  Preference:     240
  Input filter:   ACCEPT
  Output filter:  REJECT
  Routes:         5 imported, 0 exported, 5 preferred
  Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
    Import updates:              5          0          0          0          5
    Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0          0
    Export updates:              0          0          0        ---          0
    Export withdraws:            0        ---        ---        ---          0

kernel1  Kernel   master   up     13:08:02
  Preference:     10
  Input filter:   ACCEPT
  Output filter:  (unnamed)
  Routes:         0 imported, 8 exported, 0 preferred
  Route change stats:     received   rejected   filtered    ignored   accepted
    Import updates:              0          0          0          0          0
    Import withdraws:            0          0        ---          0          0
    Export updates:             20         10          0        ---         10
    Export withdraws:            2        ---        ---        ---          2

bfd1     BFD      master   up     13:08:02
  Preference:     0