More IPSEC routes for OSPF

Iain iainbuc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:27:20 CET 2013

Hi Eliezer,

“ip addr” gives just the local addresses (it doesn’t include anything OpenSWAN related) - e.g.

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: dummy0: <BROADCAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
    link/ether 46:36:d3:05:b9:9a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP qlen 1000
	…

“ip route” gives just the default route, plus one per interface (again, nothing OpenSWAN related):

Yes, they can go up/down - although the OpenSWAN tunnel should stay up all the time.  I’m dealing with three sites where I’d like to have them connected in a loop via IPSEC, using a routing protocol over GRE tunnels to remove the loop during normal operation and correctly route traffic after any link failure.

OpenSWAN under netkey doesn’t create any interfaces at all - if you tcpdump you just see both the unencrypted and encrypted packets appearing on the same interface.  This is all done via rules that can be seen with “ip xfrm policy”.  Unfortunately the only way I can find of getting the network information on the other side of the links is via the OpenSWAN tools - “ipsec auto status”.

Iain