erroneous "Netlink: File exists" ?

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Sun May 26 13:07:53 CEST 2013

Hi Ondrej,

On 24/05/2013 09:16, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> What is your output of 'show route' from birdc?

Looks like only OSPF prefixes appear there, although my kernel protocol
was configured with "import none":

http://pastebin.com/adpp5aL2

> Isn't there any other error message in log just after the start of BIRD?

I don't see anything, but I've added "log stderr all" and "debug
protocols all" to my config, and have pasted the output of "bird -d" here:

http://pastebin.com/pa4Jm3bE

The first of the Netlink errors occurs at line 720, and just repeats
after that.

> Could you replicate the same behavior with just the static routes?

So with static routes defined in bird's config, I don't get the Netlink
errors on them.  They appear in 'ip route list', and on other OSPF
routers.  Config and debug startup pasted here:

http://pastebin.com/31Ss7D2R

> Is the problem the same with disabled 'learn' option?

With learn commented, the Netlink errors still occur.

> Could you try to import some route created by 'ip route add'?

Mmm, yes, this is strange.  I'm not able to import static routes from
the Linux kernel.  They don't show in birdc's "show route" output and
don't get exported to OSPF.  I've pasted 'ip route list' output, bird
config, debug startup, and bird routes here:

http://pastebin.com/Wq5ip3x9

Thank you, Ondrej, for looking at this. :)

Regards,
Aragon