Review my BGP configuration

Andre Nathan andre at digirati.com.br
Wed Mar 6 15:03:07 CET 2013

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013, Andre Nathan wrote:

> Is that a solution to this situation? What's weird to me is that my
> other router (the iBGP peer of the Bird router) is still running Quagga,
> and it learns the same two /24 routes via iBGP but does not add them to
> the kernel routing table. I'm wondering if Quagga is doing some kind of
> filtering here behind the scenes that isn't done by default in Bird...

Actually I mispoke here. Quagga detects the /24 blocks as local and
doesn't seem to learn them from iBGP:

# show ip bgp
   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*>     a.b.0.0/24   0.0.0.0                  0         32768 i
*>     a.b.0.1/24   0.0.0.0                  0         32768 i

# show ip bgp a.b.0.0/24
BGP routing table entry for a.b.0.0/24
Paths: (1 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
  Advertised to non peer-group peers:
  w.z.y.x x.y.z.1
  Local
  0.0.0.0 from 0.0.0.0 (x.y.z.2)
    Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, weight 32768, valid, sourced, local, best
    Last update: Sat Mar  2 17:18:25 2013

BGP routing table entry for a.b.1.0/24
Paths: (1 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
  Advertised to non peer-group peers:
  w.z.y.x x.y.z.1
  Local
    0.0.0.0 from 0.0.0.0 (x.y.z.2)
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, weight 32768, valid, sourced, local, best
      Last update: Sat Mar  2 17:18:25 2013

However, just as in the Bird configuration, I have no filters configured
in the iBGP session, so I don't understand why Bird added the two /24
iBGP routes to the kernel routing table, while Quagga didn't.

Thanks again,
Andre