Seems I can't get bird to open a bgp listen socket

Hans van Kranenburg hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com
Mon Jan 21 12:37:28 CET 2013

On 01/21/2013 12:37 PM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 03:17:16PM +0100, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
>> And now I have a listening port...
>>
>> tcp  0  0 0.0.0.0:179    0.0.0.0:*      LISTEN
>>
>> Feature request: can bird please made to log a warning in this scenario,
>> something like "WARN: Ignoring blah because neigbor not in a directly
>> connected subnet blah, so not going to listen on 179 blah?"
>
> Well, the BGP protocol is not ignored in this case, just its initialization
> is postponed until such subnet appears. This could be completely OK
> situation, like if BIRD is started before network interfaces are
> initialized.

Aha, that explains it to me.

> And with 'debug { events }', there is a log message:
>
> "Waiting for XXXX to become my neighbor"

Yes, because I initially overlooked the fact I had to specify multihop,
I was stuck in trying to resolve the fact that tcp/179 was not listening
yet. Now I know these two things are related.

Thanks,

--
Hans van Kranenburg - System / Network Engineer
+31 (0)10 2760434 | hans.van.kranenburg at mendix.com | www.mendix.com