Seems I can't get bird to open a bgp listen socket

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Jan 21 12:37:26 CET 2013

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 03:17:16PM +0100, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
> And now I have a listening port...
>
> tcp  0  0 0.0.0.0:179    0.0.0.0:*      LISTEN
>
> Feature request: can bird please made to log a warning in this scenario,
> something like "WARN: Ignoring blah because neigbor not in a directly
> connected subnet blah, so not going to listen on 179 blah?"

Well, the BGP protocol is not ignored in this case, just its initialization
is postponed until such subnet appears. This could be completely OK
situation, like if BIRD is started before network interfaces are
initialized.

And with 'debug { events }', there is a log message:

"Waiting for XXXX to become my neighbor"