OSPF RFC compliance issue?

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Wed Jan 9 21:12:10 CET 2013

Hi again,

After a lot more experimenting I have things working, and a better
understanding of what was up.

The bizarre link information in the Router LSA turns out to be normal if
the link is unnumbered.  PtP interfaces are considered to be unnumbered
if their netmask is 255.255.255.255 (error?).  That netmask seems to be
the only option with Linux pppd, but writing an ip-up script that
changes it after the link is established fixes things up.

The other side of the story is that MikroTik RouterOS does not support
unnumbered OSPF interfaces!

Hope this noise is useful to someone in future. :)

Thanks,
Aragon