System requirements for BIRD

Ruben Laban r.laban+lists at ism.nl
Mon Dec 23 16:53:55 CET 2013

On 23-12-2013 16:30, Sergey Popovich wrote:
> В письме от 23 декабря 2013 16:26:58 пользователь Ruben Laban написал:
>> Wow, thanks a lot for the extensive response, Sergey! This gives me
>> plenty of stuff to research further.
>>
>> I like the iptables addrtype "trick". I was focusing on how to maintain
>> a list of local IPs to exclude from the conntrack exclude. But this is
>> way cleaner, great!
>
> Be carefully with new kernels, they contain lots of new features, much
> functionality and performance enhancements, however as with any products they
> sometimes introduce regressions, bugs.

Unfortunately that's the case way more often than one would hope for :-(

> For software router I would suggest to use stable longterm kernel branches
> such as 3.2, 3.4 and new 3.10 with a lot of performance improvements,
> enhancements, but as for me it not yet ready for software router (few patch
> levels solve this? :-)).

What are the dealbreakers currently preventing you from using and/or
recommending 3.10.x? I don't really follow the developments in kernel
land, even though I should (at least more than I do now).

> 3.2, 3.4 mostly same in their functionalities, 3.2 is very stable.
>

>> This might even be a good start for an optimizations page on the Bird wiki?
>
> I do not think so, this is more related to software packet forwarding things
> not for BIRD as routing suite itself. Probably better places exist for such
> topic.

Fair point. I fully agree that it is not directly related to BIRD, but
software packet forwarding is thing that's rather close to home for
BIRD. Either way, you've given me plenty of food for thought already to
get me through the holidays ;-)

Regards,
Ruben