Watchdog/Supervise?

Joe Wooller joe at waia.asn.au
Tue Apr 23 06:49:24 CEST 2013

If you are interested below is my upstart conf (bird.conf)
I am running Ubuntu so I removed the bird init.d script and added this in /etc/init/

<SNIP>
description     "BIRD Router Daemon"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

# An Upstart script to manage the foo service
respawn

expect fork

script
    . /etc/default/bird
    exec /usr/sbin/bird $DAEMON_ARGS
end script

post-start script
        sleep 5
        echo "my-foo service started at `date +"%F %T.%N"`" | mail -s "My-foo Service Started" user at email.com
        chown root.nagios /var/run/bird.ctl
end script
</SNIP>

This appears to work rather well. That said I am sure there is a much better way of doing it… :)

Joe