BGP flapping while peering with Cisco ASR - Hold timer expired error

Jimmy Halim jhalim at ap.equinix.com
Wed Apr 3 05:15:27 CEST 2013

On 2/4/13 4:31 PM, "Martin Kraus" <martin.kraus at wujiman.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 01:31:59PM +0800, Jimmy Halim wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Interestingly, actually the BGP packets from that particular peers are
>>not
>> hitting the permitted filter in my server:
>> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
>>tcp
>> dpt:bgp
>>
>> Problem is solved after I changed the filter to:
>> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere         anywhere            tcp dpt:bgp
>>

>> I have no clue why only this peer is having the issue with my route
>> server. Let me know if you guys have any clue.
>
>Hi.
>
>Could you describe where are you hitting your problem?
[Jimmy] For some reason, the tcp packets from that particular peer not
hitting the permitted inbound filter 'state NEW tcp dpt:bgp'

>Does the bgp session establish?
[Jimmy] Yes
>Do the routers finish exchanging routing information?
[Jimmy] Nope, we did not receive any routes
>Which router is hitting the hold time?
[Jimmy] Both sides
>Did the same machine work with your old routing daemon against the same
>ASR
>before switching to bird?
[Jimmy] Yes, old machine running openbsd and OpenBGPd as routing daemon.
New server is running centos and BIRD as routing daemon
>Did you do any other changes to it while switching to bird?
[Jimmy] No

Cheers,
Jimmy